Teaching Positions available in Taiwan
Situated in the very heart of the Far East, Taiwan is a land full of reward and surprise. With spectacular mountain ranges, tropical forests and a beautiful coastline, it is not difficult to see why early explorers named it Ilha Formosa (Beautiful Island). Taiwan’s cultural heritage is extremely diverse and its close proximity to countries like China, Japan, Korea and Indonesia has made for a truly cosmopolitan way of life. While Taiwan is famed for its technology, it has not lost any of its traditional charm. Just a stone’s throw away from any of the modern cities you will find communities enjoying a more rural and traditional way of life. If you are looking for the very best of the Far East under one roof, then Taiwan has it all.
Thankfully, for the time being Taiwan has resisted becoming a commercialized tourist trap. This, along with the very friendly, accommodating and often inquisitive locals provides for a truly unique living and working experience. A very safe, affordable and easy country to travel in, you will be able to explore and discover the many different areas, cuisines, religions, customs, landscapes and architecture that Taiwan has to offer.
Just as the economy of Taiwan continues to flourish, so too does the demand for English. Today, English is commonly taught to children as part of their normal education, as well as businesspeople looking to develop their careers. The potential to save money is another reason why Taiwan is a much sought after and rewarding location. Teaching positions are available across the island.
- Positions available around the island every month
“Taiwan is a great place to start out as an EFL teacher, everyone is super friendly and Taipei is very easy to navigate. It's nice being only an hour from the beach”Ewan Campbell, TEFL teacher in Taiwan
- NT$50,000 - NT$65,000 average monthly salary over the year
- Guaranteed salary for at least the first six months
- Reimbursed outward flight
- 27 days holiday
- Regular 5 day working week
- One year renewable contracts
- Welfare Support
- Airport pick up
- Subsidized temporary accommodation and help finding permanent accommodation
- Full work permit application
- Assistance when sick
- One week young learners training upon arrival
- All teachers are assigned a western academic manager
- Ongoing teacher support through regular observations and appraisals
- Teacher development scheme for teachers wishing to move into management
Students and Classes
- 70%+ children's classes
- Both group and one on one classes
- Students study from between 1-10 hours per week (average is 3)
- All ages and levels of class from three year olds to senior business executives!
- Maximum class size 18. Average class size 12
- Most teachers share apartments with other teachers
- Usually 2-3 people per apartment with each person having their own room
- Average monthly rents about NT$8,000
- School loans the teachers the initial deposit
- Teachers obtain a two month tourist visa before coming to Taiwan. N.B. Teachers from the UK and Ireland can obtain a 3 month landing visa and do not have to obtain a tourist visa before departure.
- The work permit is applied for after arrival (the process takes about 6 weeks)
- A simple health check is required upon arrival in Taiwan
- Native speaker from the UK, Ireland, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or South Africa
- Have a recognized degree
- Have an EFL teaching certificate or Post Graduate Certificate in Education (or equivalent). See 'What is TEFL?'